Vladimir Akopian Wins Albena Open Chess 2012
The Armenian players enjoy a notable success as three of them, GM Vladimir Akopian, GM Tigran Petrosian and IM Karen Grigoryan, are among the joint winners, together with GM Ivan Cheparinov and GM Tamir Nabaty. They collected 7 points each, according to the latest chess news by Chessdom.
Vladimir Akopian took the winner’s trophy on best tiebreak score. Full standings bellow.
Nabaty continues with strong performances on the Bulgarian soil, having earlier achieved three GM norms there (Albena, Plovdiv, Bansko Open). Nabaty also spoiled the Armenian celebration a bit as he defeated the European blitz champion Hrant Melkumyan in the final round.
Albena is one of the most popular resorts on the Bulgarian Black Sea. It is located 11 km south of Balchik and 30 km north of Varna – the sea capital of Bulgaria. Albena holds a “Blue Flag” certificate for its ecologically clean sea, beach and area. The soft sandy beach of Albena is more than 3.5 km long and up to 150 m wide. Official Chess Tournament website.
Top final standings:
1. GM Akopian Vladimir ARM 2697 – 7
2. GM Cheparinov Ivan BUL 2673 – 7
3. GM Petrosian Tigran L ARM 2657 – 7
4. GM Nabaty Tamir ISR 2553 – 7
5. IM Grigoryan Karen H ARM 2517 – 7
6. GM Tikkanen Hans SWE 2566 – 6.5
7. IM Gabuzyan Hovhannes ARM 2457 – 6.5
8. GM Nikolov Momchil BUL 2553 – 6.5
9. IM Das Arghyadip IND 2482 – 6.5
10. IM Thejkumar M S IND 2450 – 6.5