International Chess Tournament Negroponte 2012 Begins August 9
Chess Academy of Chalkida “Palamedes of Evia” is going to hold the “Negroponte 2012″ International Chess Tournament from August 9-17 in Chalkida, Greece.
The tournament will be an Open 9-round Swiss event with a total prize fund of 10.000 Euros. First prize is 3.000 EUR, with special prizes for women, juniors, best performance minus rating, etc. to be awarded. The playing venue will be at the Best Western Lucy Hotel, in the most prime location of the city, just by the sea and the famous promenade and among all of the city’s sites of interest.
Restaurants, traditional tavernas, bars and shops can be found within walking distance contributing to experiencing the utmost of this wonderful city.
Chalkida (named as Negroponte (i.e. Black Bridge) in the Venetian era) is situated in Evia (70 kms from Athens) and is worldwide famous for the tidal phenomenon of the Evripos Channel with the flow direction of the sea currents in the channel changing every six hours!
The city of Chalkida is an ideal place to combine chess with quality vacations. Chalkida, and Evia in general, offer all kind of recreation activities and the visitor can enjoy the beautiful beaches and countryside in the heart of the Greek summer.
Lucy Hotel is located at the coast of Chalkida, in the larger area of Euripus, and has been attracting distinguished guests for over half a century. Politicians, royals, artists and other prominent personalities from Greece and abroad have been accommodated at the hotel, contributing to its unique reputation throughout the years. Today, Lucy Hotel – completely renovated but maintaining its distinctive style – hosts conferences and international events of the highest calibre.
Top Pre-registered players:
1. GM Iordachescu Viorel MDA 2614
2. GM Atalik Suat TUR 2608
3. GM Papaioannou Ioannis GRE 2597
4. GM Shanava Konstantine GEO 2589
5. GM Burmakin Vladimir RUS 2586
6. GM Nikolaidis Ioannis GRE 2557
7. GM Adhiban B IND 2555
8. GM Sethuraman S P IND 2546
9. GM Mastrovasilis Athanasios GRE 2537
10. GM Stefanova Antoaneta BUL 2518
11. IM Atalik Ekaterina TUR 2474
12. IM Ashwin Jayaram IND 2471
13. IM Perunovic Miodrag SRB 2461
14. IM Akshayraj Kore IND 2454
15. IM Vishnu Prasanna V IND 2431
16. GM Georgiev Krum BUL 2421
17. Ankit R Rajpara IND 2412
18. WGM Soumya Swaminathan IND 2347
19. Kourousis Epaminondas GRE 2324
20. IM Borsuk Angela ISR 2266
21. WGM Aginian Nelly ARM 2254
22. FM Vragoteris Antonios GRE 2247
23. Urosevic Goran SRB 2237
24. Skaperdas Kostantinos GRE 2210
25. Papadimitriou Loukas GRE 2143
26. WGM Partac Elena MDA 2129
27. WFM Gevorgyan Maria ARM 2088
28. Rigopoulos-Tsigkos Alexandros GRE 2076
29. Megalios Konstantinos GRE 2073
30. WFM Raghavi N IND 2042
From Alexandra Kosteniuk's
Also see her personal blog at
Labels: negroponte chess